Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Weekend Yumminess

I've been working really hard at cooking my breakfast and most of my dinners at home during the week. Even on weekends I've been doing pretty well. My usual go to is a Trader Joe's whole wheat cinnamon raisin English muffin, a couple pieces of Trader Joe's Black Forest Bacon, egg whites, and coffee. But on weekends I like to get a bit fancier but I still like simple so I go for German Pancakes. This is such a quick recipe you could even make it on a weekday as a treat. I started with the recipe from Redhead Recipes but since it is just me I've cut it down a bit...

Original Recipe:
German Pancakes (adapted from allrecipes.com)
3 Tbsp butter
6 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp salt

Place butter in 9x13 baking dish and place in oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine remaining ingredients in blender, blend until combined. Once butter is melted, remove baking dish from oven. Poor in batter. Bake for 20 minutes. Serve with strawberries, powdered sugar, or maple syrup!

My Variation: 
(basically I just halve the recipe)
1 1/2 Tbsp butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp salt

Place butter in 8x8 (or 9x9) glass baking dish and place in oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Combine remaining ingredients in bowl, mix with an electric mixer until combined. Once butter is melted, remove baking dish from oven. Pour in batter. Bake for 15 minutes. (check it, it should be full cooked with a bit of golden brown on top) I sprinkle it with powdered sugar and eat it with Trader Joe's real maple syrup.

As I read this I'm realizing I may have a problem. I am addicted to Trader Joe's. What can I say I like good food at good prices.

0 comments: