Monday, December 20, 2010

I Will Thrive - Deployment Stories - Power of Attorney

For about three weeks I've been trying to make a payment on one of J's credit cards out of the savings account at the same bank. I went into the branch they told me to call the credit card line. I called them they sent me into the branch. I went into the branch again they told me they couldn't do anything because the credit card office closed early for some reason. So I finally got back to the branch last Friday.

A little background....I work in a church and funerals are a fairly common occurrence at my work. Friday was also the night of our staff Christmas party at the pastors' house at 6:00 PM. The funeral was to take place at 1:00 PM. It was an emotionally and physically draining experience. There were over 400 people in attendance we had to bring in chairs and we were still standing room only. So when we finally got done it was 4:00 PM (an hour after we're supposed to leave work). I had to stop at the grocery store and get a gift for the party and go home and get ready. Well the bank has a branch in the grocery store and there was no line so I though sweet I have the Power of Attorney with me I can do this real quick. No such luck...

So I go up to the teller. And she proceeds to inform me that they can't make a payment in the branch. I take a deep breath, count to 20, and say "all I'm trying to do is give you money toward a credit card what do I have to do?" She decided maybe she should talk to the branch manager. So I get transferred to the branch manager. She asks me how she can help so I start my spiel. My husband is military and is in Japan. I need to make a payment to his credit card from his savings. I'm not on the account but I have full Power of Attorney. She hmms and haas and finally makes a couple calls. She can do it. I show her a copy of the Power of Attorney which I was told would be fine by their Credit Card department and by the legal office on base. In fact that is not the case she looks at it and says..."I need bifocals and I can even tell this is a copy not the original. I need the original." I said that their credit card department told me that a copy would work. "Well not for me. I need to see the original." Thinking that it was signed in black ink I asked her how she would know. She assured me she would. So fortunately I had the original in my car so I go get it. Well it turns out it was signed in blue. She flips to the signature page and says "so you can't tell the difference between the original and the copy huh? I think it is pretty obvious don't you?" I grit my teeth and bite my tongue smile and nod. She takes care of it and has added me as POA on the account. Although I appreciate the thoroughness I don't appreciate her attitude. Then as the icing on the cake...she says "well I don't see why you don't just have your husband come in and add you on the account that would make this all a lot easier." I thought to myself. Well thank you. If that was possible I wouldn't be jumping through your hoops. It wasn't an overly active account so we never thought to add me to it. Now we know. I guess I figured in such a military dense area that they would be a little more helpful and understanding. But at least now it is done.

3 comments:

elisabeth said...

You kept your cool so amazingly well. Stuff likes this happens to us all the time. I am the organizer, so tend to set up accounts and get things started, and Greg is the accountant, so he monitors, pays, invests, etc. Sooooo many times he has handed me the phone and said thru grittend teeth, "Please tell them who you are and that you give permission for me to talk to them." :-) Got your lovely card - mine will be arrving at your house in 2011 - have a wonderful Christmas!

Roller Coaster said...

When my husband was deployed, I had to use my POA several times, and several times I had issues with not having the original. Such a pain isn't it?!

Great to see you on the mil spouse roundup!

Pretty Things said...

Oh man. I'm sorry you have to deal with all this mess! Praying for them all to come home soon!