Monday, July 25, 2011

Temporary Suffering?

In the Bible study I lead we are in a book called Walking in Grace it is about God's grace to us and our grace to others. Last week brought a scripture from 1 Peter 5:10.
"And after you have suffered for a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, support, strengthen, and establish you." 

At first I was struggled with this scripture but the discussion questions asked how does this verse relate to our journey with weight loss? We may consider exercise, passing on our favorite high fat/calorie foods, and dealing with our emotional eating to be suffering but in the grand scheme it is a little while. And in order to see a change sometimes we have to "suffer a little while." Now I do not think God causes the suffering or allows the suffering I think what this is telling us is that God will be there with us during the suffering and that it will only be temporary. Our reward will be restoration, support, strength, and establishment with Christ. 

As I pondered my Bible study I began to realize that is part of my problem. I'm not readily allowing for the suffering of exercise, giving up favorite high fat/calorie foods, and dealing with the emotional eating. I'm indulging in tv and the couch, my favorite not so healthy foods, and allowing food to be a comfort. So as of yesterday I made the decision to do the following:

  • Eat less
  • Exercise 3x this week
  • Turn to other things other than food when stressed, tired, hurt, angry, etc. 
So wish me luck as I go through the week....




0 comments: