Monday, June 25, 2012

Part of Me Will Always Love Them?

Source
This past weekend I was with a group of friends who I've known since college and somehow this led us to a conversation on exes. (probably because we were all with different people when we met) And I had an interesting realization. I used to say that part of me would always love my first love and my ex-husband. (two different men) But I realized on Saturday that no I don't still love them in a romantic sense. I still care about them and wish them the best in life; well now I do since I've gotten past the I'd like to hit them with a shovel feeling. But I think it would be really unfair to J if part of me still loved them. Because to me that means that I can't give my whole heart to him. And he has my whole heart romantically speaking. Now part of this may seem a bit odd or silly but to me it is an important distinction. I think if you still have any feelings for an ex it can stir up trouble. Both J and I had resolved our issues before we got married so that made things much easier. But I truly believe you have to let go of the past before you can move to the future. And I think had I felt there was still a question for him I wouldn't have moved forward in our relationship.


What are your thoughts do exes still have a place in your hearts or do you have to let go to move on?

1 comments:

Mrs. Duh said...

My exes will always have a place in my heart, but not romantically. For the time we were together, I was best friends with my exes and we went through some big life experiences / changes together. I look back on our time together fondly now, and I'll always have love and respect for them. But I have completely moved on!