Monday, April 2, 2012

I Will Thrive: Deployment Stories - When They Come Home


No he's not home. I wish he were but he's not. And it looks like he won't be home for a long time as in not til December/January time frame. But I've been doing a lot of thinking about when he comes home. I blame the show Homecoming. Which I've stopped watching because for me it makes me miss him more and I get slightly jealous.

I've been wondering what it will be like when he comes home for R&R and more specifically for good. I miss him dreadfully but I've become accustomed to him not being here. I only have to worry about myself and the dogs right now. If I want to go out I only have to consult my calendar. As far as cooking (or not) I only have to worry about  me. If something needs to be done I do it or find someone who can. Some days it scares me how easily I've slid back into my single habits. And I know that I've changed in the time that he's been gone, some for the better, some for the worse. I assume he has too. I can tell in our phone conversations that he too has gone back to his "single" mentality. But being in the situations he has been in and going through what he's gone through changes a person.

We've been through one R & R and we'll have one more in the December/January time frame then he'll be home for good sometime next summer. I've decided the best thing we can do is just talk like we always do and lay it out there. Discuss our expectations, our concerns, our joys, etc with each other openly and honestly so that we are both on the same page. And have patience with each other. It will have it's challenges but I think it can also be a fun time when we reconnect with each other.

**as a disclaimer when I say single I mean the habits of doing things without consideration of another not in the romantic sense, both of us are very committed to our marriage and each other and distance hasn't changed that**

What are your thoughts on reconnecting?

0 comments: