Thursday, March 4, 2010

Earthquakes

My first experience with an earthquake was at age 2 1/2-3 right after we moved to Alaska. I remember this like it was yesterday. I was in the living room and my mom was in her bedroom. In our house both of those were on the second floor. And the house started shaking...kitchen cabinets started banging...noises that I'd never heard before...so I did what any child would do and ran SCREAMING to my mom. She grabbed me and we stood in her bedroom door until it stopped. Or so we thought that is the day we learned about aftershocks. The earthquake we experienced was about a 4.0 and the aftershock was about a 2.0. But they were scary for me then and frankly I'm still not a fan of the earth shaking.

I cannot imagine what the people of Haiti or the people of Chile are going through having gone through such big earthquakes. I imagine there is a lot of confusion, fear, uncertainty, chaos, etc. And I truly feel for the people there and what they are going through. In the United Methodist Church we have a wonderful method for helping people in situations like this. The United Methodist Committee on Relief a church or individual can make a donation of money or of kits to help people.     
 
 

                         

0 comments: