Thursday, February 25, 2010

Technology

Nilsa over at SoMi Speaks discussed technology vs paper in her life which has inspired me to discuss it here.

I love technology.

Phones:
I have a Blackberry Storm. I like it but recently had some issues that left me without it and I survived. My husband I stayed at a camp ground without connection and it was great. I like the convenience of it but it is not a life line for me.
 
Music:
I have an iPod. It is an older one (the first year they made black) and it does what I need it to do. It keeps me entertained at the gym and my wonderful husband has made it so I can easily play it through my radio in my car.

Computers:
We have a desktop and a laptop. Although my personal laptop has died. I use the laptop a lot. And I'm on computers all day at work.   

Online:
I blog. I read blogs. I am on Facebook but I don't do up to the minute updates. I don't grasp the need for Twitter but I don't judge. I use Snapfish for my photos and I love it.

Calendar:
Although my calendar is on my Blackberry I still maintain a paper calendar because I like seeing the whole big picture without scrolling and searching.

Books:
I know that there are a number of electronic devices to read books from but I myself still like the feel of the paper in my hands. And although I read blogs online reading long articles or books online kills me.  

Now what I love is watching people when technology goes astray. When Twitter had some troubles a while back I thought friends were going to snap. They couldn't Tweet for about an hour and to them it seemed like forever. When my husband and I were at the above mentioned camp ground people were standing everywhere trying to get a signal on their cell phones. And at work if our internet goes down for a few minutes you can hear grumbles up and down the hall. I'm all for letting technology make lives easier but I think we have to be careful not to allow it to become an addiction. 

1 comments:

Nilsa @ SoMi Speaks said...

I think the key is learning how to balance technology with life. And keeping perspective. Knowing when to put technology away, so you can enjoy an evening with your husband at home or friends out on the town. And realizing that just because you can't tweet doesn't mean the world is coming to an end. Time spent in places where technology just isn't available offers great lessons in how to enjoy life without it. That's partly why I love going to my parents' beach house.