Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Leaping...with support

Picture: John Collier, Purdue landscape architect
www.mensetmanus.net 

I have long wanted to be my own boss for a long time now. Mainly because the high school drama that occurs in most work places drives me nuts. My current work place has less of this because it is a small staff and frankly working in a church creates a more open environment. But we still have our issues. Also I am not a morning person...seriously. I could easily work until midnight or even 2 in the morning and then sleep late and start all over again. However, office hours run from 9 AM to 6 PM. So I get up at 7:30 AM and get ready to go to work. And I function pretty well most of the time.

I have been a bead artist since I was in my teens (well back then I'm not so sure it was art) and recently I've added sewing to my talents. I've been busy beading and sewing fun. And with my wonderful husband's encouragement I've been getting things in order to open a business selling my goodies online. Currently I've talked to the city about a business license and a DBA (doing business as). I haven't gone to get them because I'm still working on a name that covers what I currently do but also what I might create in the future. I'm a bit of an flittering artist...I start many things and then switch to something new. But currently I'm drawn to fabric and beads. So I've been working...


In the beginning I will continue to work full time and make my creations in the evenings and on weekends. But my hope is that it will expand and at some point it will become my livelihood. We have our fingers crossed. I have decided the only way to move forward is to have faith that it will succeed. And sometimes the very willingness to leap is the success. So I'm ready to leap...and build my wings on the way down.

What about you...what are you getting ready to do? What changes are coming your way?

1 comments:

Gwen said...

I love this quote and I think it's wonderful that you've decided to do this. I wish you the best of luck!!! XOXO