Thursday, May 12, 2011

Teaching



When I went to college I had the goal of becoming a teacher. I was going to major in English and get my Education certification. However, things changed and I graduated many years later with a Communications degree. I don't regret it because my degree has served me well. But somewhere in my soul, my subconscious, my little voice, etc I still have the tug of teaching. Currently I'm filling that by leading a Bible study at work. But I know eventually that won't scratch it well enough.

Virginia has a Career Switcher Program. If you have a Bachelor's Degree, have been in the working world with 5 or more years experience, pass the Praxis II, and a literacy test you can enter their program. It is a 10 to 16 week program depending on where you take it. At the end of which you are probationary certified to teach. You teach for a year then you can apply for permanent certification. (I've simplified this a lot for more information Google it) I'm not sure if I'll do this but it is tempting. (I won't lie I like the idea of summers off)

Currently with J deployed and such my job gives me a lot of flexibility. I have great co-workers. And I love my job. So I don't think I'll be doing anything soon but I like the idea.

0 comments: