Monday, February 27, 2012

Act of Valor


I went to see Act of Valor over the weekend. I won't talk too much about the content because I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it. I will say that I truly enjoyed the movie. I thought it was well done and showed the Navy Seals and Riverines in action without giving away real trade secrets. I really liked the way they depicted the camaraderie of the Navy Seals and of the families. I thought it would be more of a tear jerker than it was but most of it was action oriented.The movie was a fairly typical military action movie. And if you don't like that kind of movie I would suggest you avoid it. But I loved it and I would recommend it.   

A few observations about the crowd. We went to the 4:30 pm showing at a theater where you can order dinner and drinks. The show seemed to be sold out. There were a number of people in the audience that appeared to be military. There were some young kids which I was surprised by. The movie wasn't super graphic but it got the point across and there was some language. For the most part once the movie started the audience was quiet (quieter than normal) except for the woman in front of me. First she was annoyed because they got there late so she missed her opportunity to order food so she had to go out to do it. Then she proceeded to get up every 20 minutes or so to go get more food and alcohol.But the final straw for me was during one of the final very tense fighting scenes when she decided to go on Facebook on her phone to read updates and nudged her significant other to read them. So during a serious scene in the movie I have this crazy bright smart phone in my line of sight. It was extremely distracting and to me it seemed like something that could have waited until later. I was going to ask her to put it away but about the time I was ready to say something she put it away. I suspect what happened is that her guy wanted to come and she did not so she didn't care about watching the movie. I guess I figure for the cost of a movie I wouldn't waste my money coming to see something I didn't want to see.

So did you see any good movies this weekend?

1 comments:

Amy Hervey said...

Saw this movie on Friday night. Since I'm new to this Navy thing, I have no idea how true to life it was, but I loved the movie!

Like you, I had something annoying happen at the movie. Remember at the end, where names of those fallen sailors were rolling? People started getting up to leave!!! Did that happen at your theater? Could. Not. Believe. It.


Amy
chaplaincyquest.blogspot.com