Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Shrove Tuesday


Today is Shrove Tuesday. It is the day before Ash Wednesday and the start of Lent. In our family we have almost always had pancakes for dinner on Shrove Tuesday. I never fully understood it as a child but I sure loved eating pancakes. Now working in a church we have an annual pancake supper done by our youth and it is interesting to see how many people come to it. I think it is two fold...it is free and it is tradition. So I will be eating pancakes once again as I get ready to start the season of Lent.

Which leads me to my next topic since tomorrow is Ash Wednesday I have had to do some thinking about what I'm going to give up or take on. A number of years ago a pastor suggested that instead of giving something up for Lent that we take something on, daily Bible reading, helping in a retirement home, helping at a Youth Center, daily meditation, yoga, etc whatever would be a challenge for us and would help us grow in our faith.

This year I've decided to take something on. And like many other Lenten things it is a bit self-serving but it will also be a reminder for me that Jesus suffered for me. I've decided to take on exercise particularly walking the dogs. It is something I should be doing but I haven't been motivated. And I know I'm not taking the best care of my body aka the temple of the Holy Spirit so I would like to do a better job. So there it is out in the open.

What are you giving up or taking on for Lent? Do you celebrate Lent?

2 comments:

Erinn said...

Even though I am not religious, I do participate in Lent. My husband is Catholic so he does as well. This year I'm giving up pasta and grains while he is giving up alcohol, coffee and cheese. People think it's odd that I do lent but for me, it is a practice in sacrifice which is something I think we all need.
I think it is awesome that you are committing yourself to doing something for Lent instead of taking something away. I may have to do that next year :)

Unknown said...

I've never been one to give something up for lent, as a nondenominational church member or as a conservative (WELS) Lutheran but this year I am. I'm going to give up worrying. I'm a worrier and this pregnancy hasn't helped. So when I start to worry, I'm going to make an effort to read the word/pray/meditate on Scripture instead.