Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Here's What I'm Cooking This Week

I've begun menu planning...I started with Sunday, July 4th so here it is for this week.

Sunday - Hot Dogs & BBQ - The church we attend had a July 4th Celebration so we ate there...bbq sandwiches and hot dogs. Yummy! And easy!!

Monday - Tacos - I like this dinner because it is easy and good. (After much trial and error I've determined I like the Taco Bell seasoning best for the meat. We use medium because it is a compromise.)

Tuesday - Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches - A big thanks to DAR for this delicious recipe that my husband loves and is easy to make!! You throw it all in the crock pot and then enjoy it when you get home from work.

Wednesday - Grilled Pork Chops - We bought very thick, boneless pork chops that I will marinade in the morning and J can grill that night. We'll have some vegetable with them because I like to round it out like that.

Thursday - WW General Tso's Chicken - This is my husband's favorite Chinese dish and this makes a nice light version with a bit of a kick. And it is easy.

Friday - Hamburger Pie - This is a family favorite from my childhood. And it is really easy and very tasty. {see recipe below}

Saturday - Free Day  - I figure we can use leftovers or go out to get something...just a bit of variety.

* I've noticed a trend in my recipe choices...I like easy.

Hamburger Pie 

1 lb ground beef (I use the leanest ground beef which around her is 93-96% lean)
1 - 8 oz. package cream cheese, softened (I use the 1/3 less fat but please please don't use the fat free)
The next few ingredients depend on your taste...you can use more or less depending on preference.
2-3 Tbsp of Worcestershire Sauce (I use the low sodium French's)
2-3 Tbsp of mustard (I like a spicy mustard)
salt & pepper to taste

  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
  2. Mix the ground beef, Worcestershire Sauce, mustard, salt and pepper until well mixed. I use my hands but you can use a large spoon too. 
  3. Take half of the beef mixture and place it in the bottom of a pie pan (love my Pyrex) flatten out with some coming up the sides. 
  4. Place the cream cheese in on top of this layer and press down a bit but not all the way to the edge.
  5. Take the other half of the beef mixture and place it on top of the cream cheese. Seal the edges together.
  6. Bake for 15-30 minutes depending on your stove and the doneness you like. We like it a bit less done and our stove cooks fast so I cook it about 20 minutes. 
  7. Remove from oven and let stand for 5 minutes. (this makes it easier to cut and serve)
  8. Serve with ketchup, mustard, bbq sauce, or even steak sauce for dipping. Enjoy!!
(As a side note if you want to make this a bit healthier you can cook it on a broiler pan instead of a pie pan.)

0 comments: