Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Extreme Makeover: Home Edition - Preview Review


My little blog is going big time...a little while back I was approached by Corby Pons from Different Drummer to watch the upcoming season premiere episode of Extreme Makeover: Home Addition. I was so excited to be chosen I was chomping at the bit to see the episode. When I got the link I watched it immediately. I was not disappointed. It is a special episode from a military perspective. Barbara Marshall, retired Navy Officer (chaplain) and her late husband James started the Jubilee House for homeless female veterans and their children. The goal of the Jubilee House is to help these women get back on their feet and according to Barbara to "help women get back into the game of life." They gain housing, career counseling, and much more to help them restore themselves. As usual it was a moving, emotional episode, that reminded me of how blessed I am and what people can do when they work together.

Tune in Sunday, September 25th at 
7:00 PM/6:00 central on ABC to see the Season Premiere!!!

Some of the highlights:
  • The show opened with going to the White House to meet Mrs. Michelle Obama who is very active in Joining Forces.
  • Then we met Barbara, her son, and the other ladies of the Jubilee House. 
  • Barbara took Ty on a tour of the house to show him some of the areas that were in desperate need of repair including the "swamp" basement that had standing water/mud.
  • The families from the Jubilee House were sent to Disney World to have fun.
  • All branches of the military were involved in helping with this makeover. It was fun to see them working side by side.
  • There were many surprises throughout the show for the ladies who live at Jubilee House and for those who have been through the program including a Career Expo put on by Sears.
  • Another big surprise was a well known superstar singer.
  • Ty worked very hard to give Barbara a space for herself. 
  • The other designers worked to give the current residents of the Jubilee House a special space with special touches just for them.
  • And of course an amazing reveal of the house with surprise after surprise!!
I cannot encourage you enough to watch this show. If you are military, former military, a military spouse, a military brat, or a civilian you will be moved by Barbara's story and by the stories of the other women at the Jubilee House. It was a fun, exciting, moving episode!









1 comments:

Kelsey said...

My mom and I used to watch Extreme Makeover Home Edition so often. I'd almost forgotten it was still on. What a great premise for a show, I hope I haven't missed seeing it today! Thanks for linking up on Friday :)