Thursday, June 11, 2009

Temptation

So my post today is about temptation. And usually I discuss food temptation but today I'm also going to discuss other temptations.

Temptation # 1 ~ Food
I am learning a lot about myself and my relationship to food as I go through Weight Watchers. I am very much an "if its there I'll eat it" kind of person. I have a very hard time resisting sweets in particular. Today I thought I was doing better. I went to Starbucks to get myself a non-fat latte (one of my favorite ways to get my milk) and I decided in a moment of weakness to order a toffee bar. Well I get back to work and before eating it I decide to check the points value. And it came out to be a whopping 9 on the points value. I decided I still wanted some but would only eat half....yeah that didn't work out so well. I ended up eating the whole thing. Fortunately I have a healthy dinner planned so I'll be OK point wise but I get frustrated when I do stuff like that. But I remind myself no one is perfect and learn from this and go on.

Temptation # 2 ~ Judging People
Matthew 7:1-2
1
"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. 2 For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you." 3 "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in someone else's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? 4 How can you say, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? 5 You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from the other person's eye.

I like many people have a horrible habit of judging people for things I would never do while ignoring the multitude of things I would do. I do this with J and his smoking although I had an epiphany about that and have been much less judgmental about his smoking. Although I will admit I think $5 a pack is insanity...until I think how much I pay for Starbucks, etc.

Lately I have had some issues with friends feeling the need to judge other people's behavior. You know as my co-worker says...before you judge walk a mile in their moccasins. And if you don't want to be judged don't judge others. I have a good friend who has gone through a pretty major transformation physically, mentally, and emotionally. I'm very proud of her and how far she's come. And she gets frustrated with people who judge her for how she's living her life and then turns around and judges others. I'm working on a nice way to say...hey now Ms. Pot...speaking as a Kettle I know it is hard to stop and easy to do. But you have to be careful judging others because you too may get judged.

Temptation #3 ~ Spending Money
I am horrible at holding on to money. I love to give it to people. Spend it on things. Waste it. I've made some very unwise decisions money wise over the years and I'm working to fix that. But it is tempting to burn through my money. I don't know where I get it from either. My parents are very good at handling money. And so is my brother.

Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. ~ The Lord's Prayer

0 comments: