Monday, June 29, 2009

Weight Watcher Weigh-In Week 11

I set goals last week. I was going to do better with my eating and start getting exercise in more often. I didn't do either very well. I had some really good days followed by some really bad days. I drank more water but I also drank a fair amount of regular Coke. I ate more fruits and vegetables but I also ate brownies, cream cheese filled pretzels, York peppermint patties, ice cream, Arby's potato cakes, raisinettes, Taco Bell Nacho's, etc. (sometimes all in the same day). I will say I enjoyed all of them. I did not enjoy what they did to me on the scale. So in honor of the 4th of July which was a new start for our country...I am starting again. This is the point where I would usually give up on Weight Watchers and go back to eating what I want...not this time. I will get over this hurtle. (Maybe not today I've had an OK day eating but not great.) I want to lose weight...I want to be healthier...I want to have more energy...I want to look at myself in the mirror and go "Dang girl, you look good" I know I can get there it will take time and effort.

Weigh-In

Weigh-in: +2.4
Total: -4.8

Meeting Topic: ????
To be honest I'm not sure what the topic was at the meeting. I got there a little bit late and the leader was talking about her health again. J and I had some things to get done that day so I decided to head home instead of listening to the health update. I think I will be looking for a new meeting. So today you get to hear a topic that I think is appropriate.

Megan's Meeting Topic: Just Say No
I am horrible at saying "no" to food, people, my dogs, my family, my friends, etc. If someone says "Meg can you...?" I usually say yes. If someone offers me food that I like I usually accept. And sometimes have additional helpings. One of my biggest downfalls is food in our workroom. If there is cake, cookies, bread, etc. I will have some...usually multiple times. I need to learn to walk away. My friend says weight loss is as simple as will power. If you know you shouldn't eat it don't eat it. (she said this as she was eating a bacon cheeseburger) And I argue if it were really that simple we would not have a nation with a weight problem. I know what I should not eat. I know what happens when I eat it. Yet I still eat these things. I think that it is also deciding which is worth more...the calories from the food and enjoying it momentarily or walking away and losing the weight I want to lose. I also think it is about planning, time, desire, energy, self-worth, and many other things. We often try and oversimplify things...eat less...exercise more...lose weight. If you have will power you'll lose weight. Yes both of these things are true but this isn't all there is to it.

As a nation we are horrible about taking care of ourselves. We often wait until it is too late or we are in crisis to do something. I know for myself I take on way too much for other people from actual physical tasks to worry. It is not my worry to take on but I do. So I've decided I need to start saying "no." I will be respectful...it will be a polite no...not a "heck no are you crazy" but it will be a "no." Recently some friends of mine and I were out to dinner...one of them ordered a high fat appetizer. She didn't eat it all because she was depending on the table to help her...we didn't because we had our own food. She then said she was going to box it up and send it home with me. I politely said no because J and I are both on Weight Watchers and didn't want that type of food in our house. She seemed a little thrown but as someone who had lost a lot of weight she took it for what it was me trying to be healthy not something personal. I all too often worry about offending people when I say no. I don't worry about how it affects me. I am going to start thinking about myself in the process. This week we have a cake in the workroom. I may ask my co-workers if we can put it across the hall where it isn't in front of me all the time. I'm not sure how this would work for them but I figure it can't hurt to ask. The other advantage to saying no...I can get back to some of the things I used to do with my time saved. I miss some of the things I used to do when I had the time. I miss my beading. I enjoy my beading. And if I said no to a few things I could get back to it. So "just say no" it is ok to take care of yourself first.

1 comments:

Mary :: A Merry Life said...

Sometimes you have to think about yourself first and do what is best for you. Thats hard, especially as women, but it is necessary sometimes!