Wednesday, November 9, 2011

How Do You Mend a Broken Heart?


I have three friends who are grieving for different reasons but grieving none the less. And it is hard because you can throw out the cliches but you can't make it better. You can say I'm sorry but they still hurt. You can be there with your love, your prayers, and your presence but you can't take it away.

My dear friend S had been dating a guy on and off for a year. In July he broke it off when she confronted him about where it was or wasn't going. She was a wreck. We consoled her and listened to her and let her cry. We held our comments about him to a minimum. And we have been with her every step of the way since July helping her heal in whatever capacity that may be. She was doing better but deep down I think she held onto the hope that there might be a chance. Well on Monday night this guy invited her to a semi romantic public place to tell her that he was dating someone else. The wound that was mostly healed has now been torn open once again. S is taking time to herself to process and heal but it is going to be a rough time for her. And all the scriptures and cliches won't make her feel better right now.

My other dear friends P and M had to put their dog to sleep yesterday. He had been in their lives for the past 10 + years. He was their child, their best friend, their guardian, and their loved one. He will be missed. He was an amazing lovable dog who was always ready to play fetch and greet you at the fence. As I was taking my dogs for a walk this morning I saw the end of the mooring rope that my husband had given them for the dog to play with in the trash. They are cleaning out what was the dog's and I get that but it is still an emotional process. I think my dogs know because I was home from work yesterday with a migraine and my dog Ares was on me like glue.

I realize in the grand scheme these may not seem earth shattering but for these people their lives are forever changed.

Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted. ~ Matthew 5:4

0 comments: