Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weight Watchers Weigh-In Week 6 - Topic "Tap Your Resources"

So I did much better this week with food. I ate my fruits and vegges and didn't have four cheat days (only one). But there was cake in the building and I have NO willpower when it comes to cake. Store bought chocolate cake with sugar icing cannot be beat. And that is a case of yes it does in fact taste better than thin feels (in my mind). But none the less I did stay on plan and follow the guidelines. And I don't eat perfectly but that is a reality that will occur for the rest of my life. What I like about Weight Watchers is perfection is not a requirement. So my weigh-in went much better.

Weigh-In: -0.8
Total: -6.8

I admit I got to the meeting late because I tried to fit too many things into my morning before I left for the meeting so I missed some of it. But the topic was

"Tap Your Resources"
  • Take Care of Yourself
    My leader discussed how we need to take care of ourselves because we cannot expect others to do it for us.



    My thoughts...I think part of what gets many of us to the point of being overweight is that not only do we not take care of ourselves by eating healthy, exercising, getting enough sleep, etc. we don't think we deserve to be taken care of. We need to love ourselves first before we can love others. And yet many of us take care of others before ourselves and would be appalled if anyone treated our friends the way we treat ourselves. It is a hard journey sometimes but we deserve to be happy and healthy. So take some time and take care of yourself.

  • Ask for Help
    My leader reminded us that we do not have to do it alone. There are many people and resources available if we just ask.

    My thoughts...I stink at asking for help. I can do it myself and really why would anyone want to help me. Or at least that is how I used to think...now I realize I need to ask for help. I cannot do it myself. And people who care about me want to help. And really it does make it much easier to have help. In the past when I have tried to lose weight I have not had significant others who were on board with it. It can be done without a supportive loved one but it makes it easier. And in my case this time I'm blessed. J is doing Weight Watchers with me. Although I'm the only one going to meetings he is benefiting from the meals, helps check points in a grocery store, and is aware of eating points and activity points daily. And even when I gained he just said we'll do better next week. He is great. And if your significant other can't be there for you...what about a sibling or a parent or a dear friend. Everyone needs a cheerleader now and again.

  • Prepare Yourself
    My leader reminded us to know our points before we eat something. If you know you are going to a meal that will be heavier in points eat accordingly the rest of the day to have some in reserve. Look for similar foods that have lower points values. And focus on other things other than food for the event.

    My thoughts...don't psych yourself out. I have a tendency to do this. I think about a situation with my friends for example and think to myself I'm going to eat a lot of unhealthy food because that is what we do. Well it doesn't have to be...we can eat healthy, we can involve non food related activities, we can focus on conversation, etc. There are many options. And I admit it is very important to me this time around to know what I've eaten points wise instead of just guessing. Because you can guess way off. And I have on occasion been shocked. So plan ahead with food...know the points value...remind yourself that you can eat healthy even if your friends/family are not...if it is at someone's house bring a dish...most of the time my friends don't even know it is healthy until I tell them. And then they want the recipe.

  • Allow for Forgiveness...(this is mine) you are not going to be perfect all the time so forgive yourself and move on. As J would say..."no one's losing a life over this it's not a crisis" and although it may feel like it you can get past it and learn from it. I'm just saying...
And the final quote from the meeting...
" You cannot afford to wait for perfect conditions. Goal setting is often a matter of balancing timing against available resources. Opportunities are easily lost waiting for perfect conditions." ~ Gary Ryan Blair (www.thinkexist.com)

3 comments:

Felicia said...

Welcome to the Healthy You Challenge! Best wishes to you on your journey!

*huggles*
=0)

.... said...

Welcome to HYC & congrats on your loss this week.

I, too, liked the flexibility of Weight Watchers. The ability to 'stay on plan' without being perfect makes such a difference!

Sounds like a great meeting & I think you've made some important points.

Wishing you a terrific week!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the HYC! Those meeting topics sound great - thanks for sharing them.