Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Getting Creative with Vegetables


On Jenny Craig in the beginning at least you have your breakfast, lunch, dinner, an anytime bar, and a snack provided. I've been very pleased with most of the food. I've only found a few that I didn't like which is nice. Then they ask you to add a couple fruits, a salad, a milk and a vegetable throughout the day. Well I confess it has encouraged me to get creative with vegetables. So today I'm going to share some of my favorite recipes for green beans.

One of my all time favorite ways to eat green beans is also the easiest. I love basic canned green beans. I could literally eat multiple cans of them a day. And although that wouldn't be the worst possible thing because they are green beans and they are healthy, canned green are a bit high in sodium so I have to limit my consumption of these gems.
But frozen and fresh green beans only have what you add to them so I can eat those to my heart's content. I have two recipes that I use often for my green beans. I thought I'd share them with you.

Roasted Green Beans (there are many variations on this but this is the one I use)
Large bag of green beans (I buy the ones that are with the bagged salad in the produce department because they are already cleaned)
1-2 T of olive oil depending on the number of beans
Crushed Garlic or garlic powder (or rosemary, Italian seasoning, Parmesan cheese, etc depending on taste)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
Spread foil or parchment paper on a cookie sheet.
Spread a single layer of green beans on the cookie sheet.
Drizzle oil over top and toss to coat completely.
Sprinkle seasoning of choice on the beans.
Put in the oven for about 15-20 minutes. Remove and stir to allow all sides to get roasted.
Cook for another 15-20 minutes until nice and brown but not burned.
Serve and enjoy!

Balsamic Glazed Green Beans
Large bag of green beans (I buy the ones that are with the bagged salad in the produce department because they are already cleaned)
3-4 T of balsamic vinegar
3-4 T of butter

Cook the green beans either in the microwave or on the stove until crisp tender. (I use my Pampered Chef steamer with a bit of water in the bottom and steam them)
While beans are cooking melt butter in a sauce pan of medium heat and stir in the vinegar.
Let this mixture cook until it reduces slightly. Stir occasionally. (Usually takes about 8-10 minutes)
Put green beans in a bowl. Cover with sauce and stir to coat.
Serve and enjoy!


1 comments:

Tegan said...

I love the green bean recipes! :D The sound very yummy.

I'm a sucker for canned asparagus. Usually the whole can is gone before I know it . . . I can relate to the canned greenbeans . . .:)